Strolling down the Stradun one cannot help but notice the Persijane adorning the windows. These are the forest green shutters, which have been part of the town’s history since the days of the Austro-Hungarian Empire rule. Dubrovnik archives at Sponza Palace show the same green Persijane on several early renderings of the Stradun prior to the 1667 earthquake.
The Persijane, which screen out the Bura (north) winds and rain, help shade the homes were made from wood. As the years have passed, weathering has taken its toll and the wooden pieces are being updated using newer, more durable materials.
Dubrovnikis one of the few towns in the Mediterranean area, which has kept the original color and style, thereby maintaining the ambiance of the old town from the 16th Century.